About European gambesons
European gambesons were and remain the most popular armor among Medieval knights as well as modern reenactors. Main reason – they are easy and cheap to make. At least, when compared to leather or metal armor – no need in forging metal, tools, grim blacksmiths, just cute ladies with needles and a lot of fabric, threads, and patience.
European gambesons for anyone
European padded armor is multivarious and can satisfy any tastes and wishes.
We could conditionally divide European gambesons into six types:
- gambeson – padded jack worn under armour – Medieval leather gambeson,
- aketon – quilted jacket worn under or over armor – Medieval aketon of leather,
- doublet – short padded jacket that looks more like civilian clothes – arming doublet,
- pourpoint – short quilted jacket with a slim fit waist and puffed-up chest – pourpoint of Charles de Blois,
- jacque (jack) – multi-layer widespread padded jacket that even gave its name to peasants revolts – Jacquerie,
- even modern everyday gambeson stylisation – medieval style jacket ;)
Both Medieval gambeson and modern gambeson have good protective qualities. It only must be properly produced and Steel Mastery is always at your service with it.
If you associate yourself with nobles – Medieval gambeson is an indispensable element of your plate armor. Parts of shiny plates are attached to your gambeson by leather cords, if you want to be safe. But you shouldn't perceive gambison only as underwear for your metal armor.
Often being an independent armor (for example jupon, that was worn alone or over a mail shirt), gambeson could have from 18 to 30 protective layers with leather as the upper one.
(If you don’t know how many layers you need, just order our samples for gambesons layers padding to decide or we can consult you regarding this question)
Oh! And don't forget - you can always order this gambeson in the DIY version. What could be more cool than a real Medieval padded armor made all by yourself? We have already done all the boring preparations, so you need only to order a DIY gambeson set and follow detailed, simple and understandable instruction How to sew gambeson
Why do you need European gambeson from Steel Mastery?
- It is a perfect custom underarmor made of 100% natural fabrics by your individual parameters.
- It is comfortable in wearing and provides reliable protection in battle.
- It is sewn by our cool tailors with over 15 years of experience.
- We provide convenient payment systems (PayPal, Skrill, Visa, MasterCard, American Express)
Just contact us via email [email protected] and we will sew perfect European gambeson just for you!