About Brigandine gauntlets and mittens
This section contains different types of brigandine mittens and gauntlets, which were used in Europe in the Middle Ages.
First mentions of gauntlets with plates refer to the second part of the XIII century. We could get an idea of such defense from description in the military chronicles and sepulchral figures (for example, gravestone of Robert De Blois, Norfolk, Great Britain).
Brigandine gauntlets are an ideal heritage of the island of Gotland representing a balance of functionality and beauty. The battle of Visby gave history buffs not only famous brigantines but also more knowledge about hand protection of that period. Visby brigandine gloves, for example, have strong, but flexible leather base, two large forged plates on the hand’s backside, wristband for better hands’ protection, articulatory fingers, pyramids-shaped knuckles. They are chic and gorgeous being the best Gothic plate gloves but still Visby brutal. Perfect for SCA, HEMA, Larp, Reenactment events, Stage performances, Medieval festivals.
It was a hot July 1361 when Danish troops invaded the island of Gotland and won under Gutnish country yeomen under the walls of Visby town. So hot that it was necessary to dispose of the bodies quickly. So quickly that winners didn't even have time to take off armor of the fallen – many of them were buried armored. Not too profitable for winners but really good for archaeologists, historians, and reenactments.
Interestingly, none of the gloves found were actually on warriors’ hands and, apparently, they fell into graves by chance along with the ground that covered corpses.
Fragments of more than 18 brigandine gloves were found, so historians divide them into 18 types depending on the parts preserved:
- Types 1, 2, 3 – preserved almost completely, so they are the most famous ones and popular for reconstruction.
- Types 4, 5 – mostly large details remained such as metacarpus plates and cuff fragments.
- Type 6 – metacarpus plate, fingers fragments.
- Type 7 – only metacarpus plate.
- Type 10 – "hourglass" type cuffs
- Types 8, 9, 11-17 – represented by fragments of cuffs, fingers, or metacarpal plates.
- Types 18, 19 – sets of small fragments, most likely former parts of gloves.
Most of them are brigantine design – consist of parts riveted under or over a flexible leather base. It wasn't the newest but really popular design type used even by royal persons.
Inference should be drawn that design of brigandine gauntlets of the XIII-XIV centuries varied. There were also specific armour for usage with particular types of weapon. For example, brigandine mitten for buckler (small fist shield with side hold).
Combat brigandine mittens
From the other side, Steel Mastery’s combat mittens are modest, brutally-cute, and give perfect defence to anyone, who needs simple, reliable but strong hand armor for training as well as real combat.
Here is our set of leather laminar mittens. Yes, they are not 100% historically accurate. However, this stylization could easily complete almost any Viking and fantasy image. More importantly, its protective capabilities are much more valuable than its history conformity – 3.5-4 mm thick strong but soft leather, 1.0 mm cold-rolled steel plates, padded inset inside – functional and comfortable battle hand armor.
Why brigandine gauntlets and mittens by Steel Mastery?
- variety of reliable hand protection products made by the highest standards for SCA, HEMA, LARP, stage performances, Medieval festivals, reenactment events.
- custom armor made by individual parameters and wishes – we do not limit you in your ideas and are always ready to craft hand armour for any of your needs and wishes.
- only the best leather and metal for your gloves – the highest level of protection with appropriate comfort level.
All samples of brigandine mittens and gauntlets are perfect for participation in the tournaments of medieval fencing, historical festivals, bohurts and reenactment events. Depending on the complement, such defense is compliant to the standards and rules of such social movements, as SCA (The Society for Creative Anachronism), HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), HMB (Historical medieval battles).
If you did not find required element of armour in this section, we can make it individually for you. Just send picture with detailed description to [email protected], then we will quote you and discuss details of order.
All models are handcrafted and made-to-measure. Every item is made according to the original armour, which was founded during archaeological excavations.
You need to do few simple steps to become an owner of such medieval defense:
- Open the item, which you wish;
- Choose type and thickness of metal (cold-rolled steel, stainless steel or titanium);
- Define metal for rivets and buckles (steel or brass);
- Select colour of leather
If you have some difficulties with order, please contact our manager. We will help you to define your size, required model and its complement.
Once all options have chosen, you need to add item to the cart and make a payment. After that, manager will contact you with measurement request and specification of order’s details.